This article will show you the best ways you can access or enter windows 10 boot menu options. This will include being able to access boot menu from startup and after startup.
The idea of accessing the boot menu happens when your windows 10 is having issues that can be resolved in the front-end. The boot menu comes with different tools to help you resolve some type of issues on windows 10.
If you are trying to access the boot menu from startup, click on this link to jump straight to the guide.
Before I begin, I want you to have an idea of what a boot menu is on windows 10.
You can navigate through the table of content to jump to skip to your interest.
What is Boot Menu on Windows 10?
Boot menu on windows 10 can also be referred to as advanced options menu which provides access to several repair tools and options for changing windows startup behavior.
In the advanced option or boot menu, you have the tools and options to –
- Boot into safe mode
- Enable debugging
- Launching into a recovery environment
Here’s what a boot menu looks like on windows 10.
Now that you have an understanding of what a boot menu is, let’s dive into its tools and what they are used for.
What Are the Repair Tools on Advanced Options/Boot Menu?
When you boot into the advanced options menu, here are tools you can find to troubleshoot or repair your computer:
1. System Restore
System restore helps you restore your settings, driver, and apps to a version of restore point that was created earlier.
This simply means that, when you already have a restore point created in an earlier date, in the future when your computer is having issues, you can restore your computer back to that earlier date you created the restore point.
If you haven’t created restore point on your computer, it’s best you do because you never can tell when your computer will decide to turn on you.
Note – You can only restore a restore point only if you have created a restore point in the past.
2. System Image Recovery
System image recovery helps you backup your exact copy image of your storage drive.
When your computer is in a bad state, you can restore the backed up system image recovery file to completely restore your settings, drivers and apps.
Just like system restore, you must have created a backup in the past before thinking of restoring any backup in the future.
3. Startup Repair
The startup repair automatically helps you fix startup problems on your windows 10 operating system.
Anytime you run into a problem when your computer is starting up, you can use the startup repair tool to automatically fix your problem.
The startup repair is not a guaranteed fix, but in most cases, it solves the problem.
4. Command Prompt
The command prompt tool in the advanced option or boot menu will help you boot into a single command prompt window for advanced troubleshooting.
This is very useful when you have issues booting to desktop.
It comes with a whole lot of other options to help you troubleshoot your windows.
5. Startup Settings
The startup settings give you the option of changing the startup behavior of windows 10.
You have the option of booting into:
- Safe mode
- Low-resolution video mode
- Boot logging
6. Go Back to The Previous Windows
This tool will simply help you downgrade back to the previous version of windows you were using.
This is very useful when you have issues with your current version of windows.
You simply downgrade back to the previous OS and start afresh.
How to Enter Windows 10 Boot Menu (Advanced Option)
Step 1 to step 4 will show you how to enter boot menu from desktop, while step 5 to step 7 will show you how to enter windows 10 boot menu from startup.
Follow the instructions correctly.
1. Restarting While Holding the Shift Key
This is the easiest method to boot into boot menu on windows 10.
1. Navigate to the windows icon and click on it.
2. Hover your mouse arrow to the power icon.
3. Hold the shift key on your keyboard and click on restart. don’t release your hand from shift till your computer restarts.
4. When your computer restarts, click on troubleshoot when you see a pop-up box asking you to choose an option.
5. Now click on advanced options.
2. Through Windows Settings
1. Press the following command on your keyboard to open windows settings.
Windows key + I
2. Click on update and security.
3. Click on recovery by your left-hand side.
4. Under Advanced startup, click on restart now.
5. When your computer restarts, click on troubleshoot when you see a pop-up box asking you to choose an option.
6. Now click on advanced options.
3. Through Command Prompt or PowerShell (Admin)
You are free to uses either command prompt or powershell on this guide. For this guide, I will be using PowerShell.
1. Right click on the windows logo icon.
2. Click on windows powershell (admin).
3. If you get a pop up asking you if you want to allow this app, click on yes.
4. Type or copy and paste the following command inside windows powershell.
shutdown.exe /r /o
5. Hit enter key on your keyboard.
6. You will get a pop up telling you that you are about sign out. Click on close.
7. Your computer might several minutes to restart. When your computer restarts, click on troubleshoot when you see a pop-up box asking you to choose an option.
8. Now click on advanced options.
4. Through Task Manager
1. Press the following command to enter task manager.
Ctrl + Alt + Deleteexclude +
2. Click on the power button located by your lower right-hand corner.
3. Hold shift key on your keyboard and then click on restart.
4. After your computer restarts, click on troubleshoot when you see a pop-up box asking you to choose an option.
5. Now click on advanced options.
5. Force Restart
This step is mainly for users that are unable to access desktop but trying enter the windows 10 boot menu.
Here’s what you have to do,
1. Turn off your computer.
2. Turn your computer back on.
3. When your computer loads up to the windows 10 logo, remove your battery or hold your power button till your computer goes off. Make sure you turn your computer off when the windows logo is being displayed on your computer screen.
4. Your must do this 3 – 5 times.
5. At a point, your computer will boot automatically in advanced option / boot menu.
6. When your computer boots into advanced option, click on troubleshoot when you see a pop-up box asking you to choose an option.
7. Now click on advanced options.
6. Through a Recovery Drive
1. Plug in your recovery drive. If you don’t have a recovery drive, you will have to create one.
2. Boot your computer from the recovery drive. Check here if you have issues.
3. After booting from your recovery drive, select your keyboard layout.
4. You will be shown the boot menu / advanced option.
7. Through an Installation Media
1. Insert your bootable drive into your computer.
2. Boot from the drive. If you can’t find your bootable device, check out this guide.
3. Click on next when the setup screen appears.
4. Click on repair your computer located below.
5. You will be shown the boot menu / advanced option.
Should You Use the Windows 10 Boot Menu Key?
Here’s the thing,
There is no special key from startup to access boot menu. Most people usually try the F12 and F8 key.
These particular keys are for booting into bios.
The only way to boot into boot menu on windows 10 is through all the method I listed above.
How to Exit Boot Menu / Advanced Startup Options
When you are done troubleshooting,
All you have to do to exit the boot menu is to click on continue to restart your computer normally.
If you don’t click on continue, your computer might keep on booting endlessly into the boot menu.
If you followed my instructions correctly, you easily be able to access windows 10 boot menu.
I hope this article was helpful to you.
Did it work for you?
Which method do you like?
Are you having any trouble?
Is there anything you want to ask or share with me?
Please use the comment below, I will reply to you as soon as I can.
Hi, I’m Solomon. I love computers & the Internet. Certified Computer Engineer with a bachelor’s in Economics. I am a fan of the Internet and I possess a wide range of digital and ICT skills that I freely share through my blog >>Bestsoltips
Bestsoltips main objective is to share and teach you about computer troubleshooting, tips, and solutions