You discovered your keys aren’t working and now you are wondering the ways you can unlock the keyboard on your dell laptop. A keyboard is bound to have a problem one way or another because it is a computer device on its own.
Before I reveal the methods to you, I want to show you why or what caused you to have a locked keyboard on your dell laptop.
Why Your Dell Laptop Keyboard is Locked
Here are the reasons why you dell laptop keyboard is locked.
1. Fn Lock
Your Dell laptop’s Fn key is known as the function key on your keyboard that gives you the option to change settings or toggle features by tapping a combination of keys. It’s possible to accidentally lock the “Fn” key when you drop your dell laptop or your pet sits on your keyboard.
The Fn key is located usually beside the windows logo button on your keyboard.
Num Lock can also be referred to as a Numeric Lock which is a key on the numeric keypad on your dell keyboard.
It is a lock key similar to Caps Lock and Scroll Lock which gives you the option to change the function of the numeric keypad commonly located to the right-hand side of your dell main keyboard, and is commonly displayed by an LED built into the keyboard.
The NumLock can help you unlock your dell keyboard using the troubleshooting method below.
3. Outdated Keyboard Driver
Every device connected to your dell laptop must have a driver installed on your laptop. The reason for this is to help your computer understand and recognize the device that is connected to it.
Sometimes when a driver is not installed properly or outdated, this situation confuses your computer to react in not recognizing the device at all.
It is important to check if your dell keyboard driver is properly installed or needs an update when your dell keyboard is malfunctioning.
Updating your keyboard drivers can help you unlock your keyboard using the troubleshooting method below.
4. Dead Batteries (Wireless Keyboard)
This option is for you only if you are using a wireless keyboard. Batteries are important to power your dell wireless keyboard. Sometimes it’s difficult to know when your battery is dead and needs to be recharged or replaced.
When your dell wireless keyboard stop working all of a sudden, the first thing you should check is your batteries. Replace thief they need to be replaced.
Sometimes it is easier to just face the truth. If you have tried every method to unlock your dell keyboard and it’s still not working, Maybe you should accept the fact that you hvea bad keybord.
Dropping your laptop and spilling water on your dell keyboard can damage your keyboard.
Before concluding if you have dead keyboard, i suggest you try all the troubleshooting method i am going to show you below.
Tip – If your dell laptop keyboard isn’t working, here’s how to fix it.
How To Unlock Keyboard On Dell Laptop
Here are the methods to unlock your dell keyboard.
1. Unlock Your Dell Fn Key
This Method is to help you Unlock your dell keyboard by Unlocking your Fn key
- Press and hold the Fn key located close to the windows logo key
- While holding the Fn key, tap the Num Lk key at the upper right-hand corner of the keyboard to unlock the Fn key.
if this method doesn’t work, press and hold Fn and Esc key to unlock the Fn key
- Hold down the Fn key and tap the F3 key to bring up the Dell battery monitor screen.
- Tap Fn and F10 together to eject the disk drive.
- Hold down the Fn key and tap the up arrow key to increase the screen’s brightness, and press the down arrow key to decrease the screen’s brightness.
- Now tap on one of the keys to increases or decreases the brightness to its maximum or minimum.
- Click on the Fn key while tapping on the Page Up key to increase the dell laptop’s volume. Use the Page Down key to lower the volume.
- Press and hold F2 and Fn key to turn on or off the laptop’s wireless card
- Press and hold F1 and Fn key to put the laptop into hibernate mode
Tip – How to screen grab your screen on dell laptop.
2. Unlock Your NumLock
If the number keys by the right-hand side of your dell keyboard are the only keys not working, then it means your dell keyboard NumLock is locked and needs to be unlocked.
To unlock the NumLock key,
Locate the NumLock key by your top right-hand side for your laptop keyboard. On the key is written NumLock, clicking on it should unlock the NumLock Key.
Most times, you might need to hold Fn and the NumLock key to unlock the NumLock key.
Tip – Learn different ways to turn on wifi on your dell laptop.
3. Update Your Keyboard Driver
Your keyboard driver might be outdated and needs to me updated.
To update your Keyboard driver,
- Click on the Windows logo key and search for device manager
- Run device manager
- Once it opens, locate keyboards and click on the drop-down
- Depending on the number of drivers in the drop-down list, you will have to update everything.
- Right-click on one the drivers and click update
- A message will pop up asking you how you want to search for your battery drivers, select Search automatically for updated driver software.
- Now let windows search for you drivers automatically
- If your drivers are not up to date, update your drivers and restart your laptop. If otherwise, Proceed to the next step.
Tip – How to fix black screen on dell.
4. Drain Your Dell Laptop Static Electricity
This method is highly recommend and works for most people
To perform this method,
- Turn off your dell laptop
- Unplug your Dell charger and remove your dell battery. If your laptop is using an inbuilt battery, open your laptop with a screwdriver and carefully detach the battery cable
- Now hold your Power button for 40 to 50 seconds
- Reconnect your battery and charger
- Turn on your laptop
5. Replace Your Dell Keyboard
At this point if your dell laptop keyboard isn’t working, I suggest you replace it.
But before you replace it, seek the help of a professional to help you diagnose your laptop properly and confirm if really your keyboard needs to be replaced.
GET A RESPONSIVE WIRELESS KEYBOARD NOW
To wrap this up,
With these methods above that shows you how you can unlock keyboard on your dell laptop, I believe, by now you must have resolved your problem.
If you are considering replacing your keyboard, I suggest you consult a professional first to help you properly check your dell keyboard and let you know if you should replace it.
Solomon is a professional content writer. He loves writing and sharing articles about operating system, computers and gadgets.