Are you wondering how you can start a blog? Or, have you been thinking about it for a while but not sure how to set it up?
In this article, you will learn my exact methods for setting up a blog that helped me earn money quickly.
I have earned more than $30,000 in my first year of blogging while I was working a per time job. Now, my blog is 3 years old and I make an average of $5,000 weekly. From where I came from, that is a huge amount of money for me.
I literally turned my blog into a successful business with just my laptop, internet and few daily hours of my time.
The most interesting thing is that i made all this money with a very little investment and little traffic.
All i really had to pay for was for my hosting which comes with a free domain (Blog name).
My hosting cost me just $142.20 for 36 months which goes for $3.95 monthly. That is one of the best deals i have gotten in my life.
[su_box title=”Biggest Regret” box_color=”#3a71b9″]My biggest regret is that I didn’t start blogging on time. I’ve made a lot of money in just my 3 years of blogging.
But then, I always wonder how much I would have made if I started blogging 10 years ago.
Don’t make the same mistake I made. Start blogging today. it is worth it.[/su_box]
6 steps to follow when starting a blog
1. Decide what you will like to blog blogging about. [e.g… Food blog]
2. Choose a blogging platform. [e.g….WordPress]
3. Pick a host.
4. Create your domain and start your WordPress blog. [e.g… bestsoltips.com]
5. Design your website.
6. Start creating content.
Reason why you should Start a blog
There are several reasons to consider when starting a blog. Personally, I started blogging because I wanted to make money on my schedule because I hate the amount of money I’m earning from my per time job.
My blog has allowed me too:
- Quit my per time job.
- Support my family.
- Buy a car.
- Rent an apartment comfortably.
- Pay off debts.
- Network with companies and people all over the world.
While starting a blog has literarily changed my life, here are common reasons why other people start a blog.
You can make money from anywhere in the world – This is by far one of the best reasons why you should consider starting a blog. Any payments that are to be made to you will be paid online based on the financial service you use. I use PayPal, Payoneer and Paystack to receive my payments.
You can work from anywhere in the world – All you need is a computer and an internet to be able to blog from anywhere in the world. After setting up your blog, it is stored on a server and can be accessed through the internet from anywhere you are in the world.
You make money on autopilot – Depending on how you have set up your blog to generate income, either through displaying ads, affiliate marketing or sponsored post, you will generate more revenue with a consistent audience visiting your blog.
It is great for your resume – Employers will be very impressed when they see that you were able to start a successful business (yes, your blog is your business) all on your own especially if you are young. An employer will see a glimpse of what you are capable of accomplishing and how you can help his or her business more successful.
You are the boss – Yes, you are the boss, period! Blogging full-time in my own experience makes me not subjected to anyone. I create the rules and change them anytime I feel like it. I wake up anytime I want and blog anytime I want. You get the idea. Being a full-time blogger gives you more time for yourself, friends and family.
Have you thought about yourself blogging? These next steps are laid out as easy as possible for to start a successful blog that will earn you money.
How to Set up Your Blog
Follow my lead,
1. Pick a host
You need to pick a host for your website to get it live and viewable to the public.
There are many hosting platforms but I recommend Bluehost
Here are my reasons:
- It is affordable – Their beginner hosting plan starts from $3.95 per month which was what I started with when I first created my website. You should stick to the $3.95 plan when you are just starting out but the $5.95 will give you much more if you are willing to spare a few bucks. Either way, both plans are great.
- Great customer service – Anytime I have a technical challenge on my website, they always help me resolve it every time. It doesn’t matter what time you contact them, they always respond.
- Free Domain – Instead of paying for a domain separately, you get it for free when you sign up with Bluehost.
- Free SSL – An SSL is basically some type of security for your website that is recommended by Google and you get that for free when you sign up with them
To sign up with Bluehost,
2. Click on the button that says “Get Started“.
3. Choose a plan.
The 36 months will offer you the greatest discount and as someone just starting out, I will advise you to start with the basic plan because it was the same thing I did.
When your blog has grown and gained a lot of audiences, you can now upgrade to a higher plan.
4. Pick a domain (Blog name).
Think of a domain (blog name) for your website. Your domain name is what the public can type into a search bar in a browser to get to your website.
Mine is Bestsoltips.com (do not add .com when searching for your domain name)
Here are some tips when choosing your domain name:
- Your domain has to be unique (you can’t use a domain someone is already using)
- It should be short and easy to remember
- Don’t overthink it
- Always use a .com
If you can’t think of a name right now, you can skip this step by clicking on i’ll create my domain later.
5. Add in your account information
Follow the instructions completely to set up your account. You can uncheck all the package extras below to reduce your cost. I never used any extras and my website turned out great.
Note – Make sure you click on Claim if you get any discount offer.
You can change your account plan to 12 or 24 months if you want something more affordable.
6. Set your password
After your purchase is completed, you will be prompt to set up a password. Make sure you choose a password that is secure and easy to remember.
If you get any notification concerning upgrades and special deals, just click on no because you don’t need them.
2. Install WordPress
WordPress is the best blogging plartform because it’s free, powerful and very user friendly.
Sometimes, Bluehost automatically installs WordPress for you and all you have to do is to click on Log in to WordPress button.
If you can’t find this button, here’s how you can setup wordpress in just 5 clicks:
2. Click on the “Install WordPress” icon.
3. Choose “do it yourself ” version and then click on “install”.
4. Click on the “Check Domain” button.
5. Acknowledge the terms and conditions by checking the box.
6. Click on Install Now.
3. Design Your Blog
After installing wordpress, your default design (Theme) won’t look that great and you can change that by using another theme.
When choosing a theme, you should choose a theme that is lightweight and fast because your website needs to be in good performance.
Run away from any theme that will slow your website down. I’m using Generatepress and it’s the opposite of slow.
A simple way to find the right theme is to search on Google for the best lightweight theme for your niche.
After getting the right theme from the search results, you need to install it your website.
1. Log on to your WordPress dashboard.
2. Navigate to appearance on your left sidebar and click on themes.
3. Select add new.
4. Search for the theme you feel is right for you.
5. Click on Install after previewing it.
Now that your website is live, here’s a few thing left to do
Write and publish your first blog post
Stick to a regular publishing schedule.
1. Optimize Your Website for SEO
2. Learn how to write a blog post that will rank no. 1 on google
3. How to Do keyword research
If you have any question, feel free to drop a comment below.