In this article, you will learn the easiest way on how to screenshot on hp laptop, desktop and tablet. This will include showing you different methods of both free and premium tools you can use to take a screenshot successfully on your hp laptop.
You don’t have to worry about the version of windows you are using because the information that will be used in this article will provide methods for windows 10, 8, and 7.
Screenshotting on your hp computer is very easy and it doesn’t take a tech guru to figure it out.
I’ll show you soon but first, what exactly is a screenshot and what is it used for?
What is a Screenshot on a PC?
Taking a screenshot on pc is way of capturing everything that is displayed on a computer screen and saved as a picture format.
This is also a way of saving images that you are unable to save directly on your computer.
If you need just a small piece of image from the screenshotted image, you can simply crop the image with common windows 10 tools like:
Methods to Take Screenshot on HP Laptop
There are three (3) methods to screenshot on hp laptop or desktop.
These methods are:
- Print Screen Key (FREE)
- Snipping tool (FREE)
- Snip and sketch (FREE)
- Snag it (PREMIUM)
Print Screen Key – This is a free tool only included inside windows 10 which will involve you pressing a simple combination of keys on your keyboard to take a screenshot.
Using the print screen key to take a screenshot on your computer will capture only your entire screen and save it to a specific location. The disadvantage of this is that it cannot let you capture specific areas on your computer screen.
You are only limited to taking a screenshot of just your entire screen.
Snipping Tool – This is also a free tool that is available on Windows 10, 8, and 7 which enables you to capture your entire screen, capture any given windows and capture any specific areas of your choice on your computer screen.
It doesn’t just stop there, you also get the option of exporting the image you screenshotted or captured to Paint program to edit further.
Snip and Sketch – This is another free tool that is available for windows 10 alone and will be replacing the snipping tool program later in a future update.
Snip and sketch can do everything the snipping tool would do and also comes with few improvements.
The improved feature gives you the option to set a three (3) and ten (10) seconds countdown before it takes a screenshot of your hp computer screen.
Snagit – This is a paid powerful tool that is available on all versions of windows and can do more than just taking a screenshot of your entire screen or any selected area of your screen.
With Snagit, you can create how-to documents, informal videos demonstrating a process, and professional-looking graphics to enhance presentations.
Snagit comes with cool features that enables you to create videos from a series of your own images. It also provides templates to create visual documentation, tutorials, and training materials.
Now that you have an idea of all these methods, let’s get into how to use them to capture your screen.
How to Take a Screenshot on HP laptop
Each methods will be taking one after the other.
Let’s start with the Print Screen Key
1. Print Screen Key
Note – This method works for Windows 10, 8, and 7. Also, it will screenshot or capture only your entire screen and will screenshot or capture only your entire screen.
Here’s how to take a screenshot with the print screen key on your HP laptop or desktop,
1. Press the following key combinations on your keyboard to screenshot your whole screen.
Windows Key + PrtScr
2. To view your screenshot, open file explorer by pressing the windows key + E.
3. Click on pictures. you will find your screenshotted image is saved to a folder named screenshots.
2. Snipping Tool
Note – This method will work for Windows 10, 8, and 7. With it, you will be able to screenshot your entire screen and also capture any selected area you want.
Here’s how to screenshot with snipping tool on your hp computer
1. Search for snipping tool in windows search.
2. Click on snipping tool among the results.
3. Inside snipping tool, click on mode to select the kind of snip you want. You will find four types of snip:
- Free-form snip – This enables you to use a free hand movement to capture whatever you want on your screen.
- Rectangular snip – This enables you to capture anywhere on your screen in a rectangular form. it is the most common snip used.
- Windows snip – This lets you capture any window that is opened by using your mouse select.
- Full-screen snip – This enables you to capture your entire screen.
4. After selecting the snip you want, click on new. I will select the rectangular snip for the sake of this article.
5. Now, drag the crosshair cursor across your desired area for capture then release you hand.
6. Click on the save icon to save your image in you desired location.
7. If you need to tweak the image you just captured, click on the ballon icon to export to paint.
8. Inside Paint, you will be given different sets of tools that will help you tweak your image. When you are done, click on menu then select save.
3. Snip & Sketch
Note – This method is available for only windows 10 and with it, you will be able to screenshot your entire screen and also capture any selected area you want.
Here’s how to capture your screen with snip and sketch on your computer,
1. Press the following key combination on your keyboard to open snip & sketch.
Windows key + Shift + S
2. Just like the snipping tool, you will be given four types of snips:
- Free-form snip – Freehand movement to capture whatever you want on your computer screen.
- Rectangular snip – Capture anywhere on your screen in a rectangular form
- Windows snip – Capture any window that is opened.
- Full-screen snip – To capture your entire screen.
3. Select the rectangular snip.
4. Drag the cursor across your desired area on your hp laptop screen then release your hand.
5. Immediately you release your hand, you will get a pop up by your right-hand bottom corner. Click on that pop-up to preview your captured image.
6. Click on the save icon button to save the captured image file to your desired location.
Note – This is a paid tool that is available for windows 10, 8, and 7. With it, you can basically do everything the free features can do faster and easier. You will be getting features like creating how-to documents, informal videos demonstrating a process, and professional-looking graphics to enhance presentations.
Here’s how to use snagit.
1. Download snagit and install it on your hp computer.
2. Launch the snagit program.
3. By default, it will be selected to all-in-one, click on capture.
4. Move your mouse over any opened windows to capture or you can simply click and drag over any area you want on your hp computer screen.
5. Once you release your hand, you will get a pop up showing you three main options (The blue sections).
- Capture an image – To simply capture that image as you took it.
- Record a video – To create a video or gif with the captured section.
- Launch a panoramic capture – To capture more image information while scrolling.
6. For the sake of this article, I will select capture an image.
7. Now your image will be exported to snagit editor. Here you have a plethora of options to tweak your captured image or save it as it is.
9. To save, click on share, and select your desired location.
How to Screenshot on HP tablet
Hp tablets run on an Android OS (operating system) while a hp laptop runs on windows os. So, screenshotting on a hp tablet is entirely different from screenshotting on a hp laptop.
To screenshot on an hp tablet, here’s what you need to do:
Press and hold the power button and volume down button altogether for 2 seconds.
Your screenshot will be saved in a folder named screenshot.
Out of the four ways on how to take a screenshot on hp laptop, I recommend you get Snagit because it basically can do everything the other methods can. It’s a cheap program that makes your work fast and easy.
The free methods are also great but very limited. You can consider using it only you just need to screengrab an image but if you know you would need to tweak your images, get the Snagit program.
Hi, I’m Solomon. I love computers & the Internet which enables me to possess a wide range of digital and IT skills that I freely share through this blog.