Looking for a large or the largest files on your computer is simple process on windows 10 and almost anyone can it.
If you would like to know how, I will show you how using different methods found inside windows 10 and third-party apps.
A computer that’s running on Windows 10 has an inbuilt feature inside widows to help easily find big files.
This feature includes filtering and sorting files with their sizes either in ascending or descending order or letting windows 10 automatically find large files for you by giving you the option of choose from a file size range.
There are situations where you discover your storage is full or getting full but you personally know that you haven’t been installing large programs or copying large files into your computer.
In situations like this, the problem could be coming from windows update or third-party software’s and in most cases, you could be the problem.
Here’s an example of what I’m trying to say,
You downloaded a game or an application of 5gb and installed it on your computer.
After installation, you forgot to delete the setup or downloaded file.
Now, both the setup file and the installed files are taking two different spaces (5gb + 5gb = 10gb).
This is something almost everyone does and I can assure you it’s nothing to be ashamed off.
If you have enough storage to keep both the setup and installed file, that is fine. But, if you don’t have enough storage on your computer, you have every reason to consider deleting the setup file after installing.
Large files are responsible for why your disk storage is full which highly affects your computer overall performance.
|Advanced SystemCare PRO 13||300% faster internet speed;
200% quicker system boot up;
Privacy shield for better privacy protection;
Anti-tracking for safer online browsing;
Auto RAM clean for smoother PC running;
To fix and prevent problems on your computer, we recommend the Advanced SystemCare Ultimate Utility Tool:
This software will detect & Remove viruses, malware, ransomware. Protect your PC in real time. Block unwanted access to sensitive data. Clean & speed up your computer. Increase your internet speed up to 300% faster. Boot up time will also increase up to 200% quicker. It offers privacy shield for better privacy protection. Anti-tracking for safer online browsing and auto RAM clean for smoother PC running.
To install this software on your computer,
- Start by Downloading Advanced SystemCare (88.79mb) and installing in it on your computer.
- Launch the software and click on Start Scan.
- Give the software few minutes to completely detect everything wrong with your computer.
- Click on Fix once the scanning is complete.
Does Large Files on Windows 10 Affect System Performance?
Not exactly, the impact of large files on a computer’s performance depends only if it contributes to storage causing it to be full.
If you have enough storage that is large enough to keep big files, then your Windows 10 computer’s performance won’t be affected in any way.
But, if your storage is full and large files contribute to about 90% of the storage, then your computer’s performance will be highly affected.
Situations like this will cause your computer to be extremely slow and the only way to resolve this is to free up storage or find and delete these large files.
But how exactly can you find files that are large on windows 10? Here’s how
Methods to Find Large Files on Windows 10
There are three methods.
These three methods are:
- Files Explorer
- System Settings
- Third-party software
These methods aren’t just applicable on windows 10 but can work for older version of windows.
Let’s begin with the first method.
1. File Explorer
Please follow the instructions carefully.
1. Search for file explorer options in windows search.
2. Click on file explorer options among the results.
3. Navigate to the view tab inside file explorer options.
4. Change the advanced settings to show hidden files, folders, and drives.
5. Click on apply then save.
6. Press the following command with your keyboard to open file explorer.
Windows key + E
7. While in file explorer, make sure you are on this pc.
8. Type anything into the search bar and click on enter to reveal the share tab. In my case, I will search for bestsoltips.
9. Now, erase what you searched for and head over to the search tab.
10. Click on size to reveal a range of size.
11. Once you get the range size, this is what they all mean.
- Empty (0 KB) – This will show you all windows 10 files that are empty or 0 KB.
- Tiny (0 – 16 KB) – This will show you all windows 10 files that are between the size of 0 – 16 KB.
- Small (16 KB – 1 MB) – This will show you all windows 10 files that are between the size of 16 KB – 1 MB.
- Medium (1 – 128 MB) – This will show you all windows 10 files that are between the size of 1 – 128 MB.
- Large (128 MB – 1 GB) – This will show you all windows 10 files that are between the size of 128 MB – 1 GB.
- Huge (1- 4GB) – This will show you all windows 10 files that are between the size of 1 – 4GB.
- Gigantic (>4 GB) – This will show you all windows 10 files that are greater than 4 GB.
12. Clearly, you want to click on gigantic (>4 GB) because we are looking for large files. But you can also select other options to view a different file size.
13. After click on gigantic (>4 GB), you will see a list of large files that has a minimum size of 4 GB.
Tip – Learn how to uninstall stubborn programs
2. Storage settings
Please follow the instructions carefully.
1. Press the following command on your keyboard to open windows settings.
Windows key + I
2. Click on system inside windows settings.
3. Navigate to storage by your left-hand side.
4. Windows 10 will show you a list of storage locations with how much space is being used. You can click on any locations to reveal the files that are taking the most space. This will only show you storage usage for drive C only. If you have multiple drives and you want to check how much large files is contributing to it, proceed to step 5.
5. Click on view storage usage on other drives under more storage settings if you have multiple drive.
6. Now, choose the storage you want to view its size usage.
7. Select any location that affects your storage significantly to view where the large files are stored.
3. Third-party Apps
There are different third-party apps that can help you find the biggest files on windows 10.
These apps are,
- Largest File Finder
- Treesize Free
Here’s how to get them,
1. Largest File Finder
This will help you find 100 largest files on your drive or within multiple subdirectories.
Largest file finder will automatically scan your computer and shows you the top 100 biggest files.
Each of these 100 result will contain
- It’s file name
- Full folder path
- Files size
- Date of last change.
2. TreeSize Free
This will help you break down your drive usage right down to file level to view large files.
It shows you a treemap chart to visualize space usage.
It also shows you a visualization of files sizes through color.
Compatible with any edition of Windows starting with Vista / Server 2008 (32-bit and 64-bit).
Keep Your Computer Optimized Automatically
Start using Advanced System Care on your computer to monitoring and managing your system with one click.
Advanced system care comes with an advanced feature that will ensure your PC performs like new
Here are some of its features:
- PC Monitor
- Real-Time PC Protection & Security Guard
- Deeper Registry Clean
- Driver Updates Improve Hardware Performance
- 300% Faster Internet Speed
- Fix Frequently Encountered Problems
- Easy-to-Use PC Toolkit