I discovered my HP laptop time was incorrect after I formatted it with the aim of starting afresh. This was new and frustrating for me because I never knew I would have to deal with this one day.
I was able to change the time on my HP laptop by going through Windows settings and toggling on the time and zone of my country to set automatically.
I always thought that my HP laptop was supposed to always display the correct time and date automatically by default, but I clearly thought wrong.
Although my time and date changed after I wiped my HP laptop, this my not be the case for everyone.
If you purchased a new HP computer, you may come across that your time is incorrect and needs to be changed.
On other occasions an HP laptop time or date may be incorrect due to lack of internet connection for over an extended period.
Anyways, if you are in the shoes I once was, I’m going to show you how I successfully changed my time to the correct information matching up with my region.
In this article, I add more effort to not just show you how to change your time and time, but how you can change the zone, sleep, hibernation, screen lock time as well.
How To Change The Time On Your HP Laptop
Before you decide to change your time, you should understand that your HP laptop must be set to the right country and region first.
If you change your time to and your HP laptop is set to a different country or region, you will automatically get an incorrect time and date.
If you live in the US and your HP laptop country and region is set to Canada, you will automatically subscribe to the time zone of Canada.
The point is that your country and region need to be set to the country you are currently in before your HP laptop displays the correct time.
To change your country and region, jump to this section.
How to change time on HP laptop:
1. Press and hold the Windows key + I to open Windows settings.
2. Click on time & language.
3. Make sure you are on date and time tab by your left-hand side.
4. Toggle on the button to set your time automatically.
5. Click on change while automatic time is toggled off to set your time manually.
6. Click on sync now.
7. Restart your HP laptop.
If your time and date is still incorrect, then it means your time country and region is incorrect. Change your country and region to your current location and then come back to this section to change your time.
Why You Can’t Change The Time On HP Laptop
The reason you are unable to change the time on your HP laptop is as follows
- Incorrect Regional Format.
- No Internet Access.
- Wrong Country and Region.
- Time Is Not Set To Automatic.
1. Incorrect Regional Format
The common mistake that most people make is that they set their regional format correctly.
According to Windows, the regional format of your date and time is based on your language and regional preferences.
If your country and region doesn’t match with your regional format, chances are that your time will be incorrect.
What I have found to work is that you need set the country and region to your current location and then change the regional format to your country or English (United States).
2. No Internet Access
If you have trying to change time and date while your computer is not connected to the internet, your HP computer won’t be able to respond because of lack of internet access.
Your HP laptop will require internet access to properly get your correct time depending on the region your picked.
All you must do so successfully change the time on your HP laptop is to connect your computer to the internet and then try again.
3. Wrong Country and Region
Just like how I explained how setting a wrong regional format will automatically give you an incorrect time, the same applies when you set the wrong country and region.
You can’t expect Windows to give you an accurate time when your country and region is set to another country.
It is the country and region that you set for your HP laptop that will determine if the time will be correct or not.
What you can do to fix this is to change your country and region to your current location and then restart your HP laptop.
4. Time Is Not Set To Automatic
Another reason why you are unable to change the time on your HP laptop is because you are trying to change it manually.
When you set your time manually, there’s a possibility that it can change anytime you restart your computer which then will require you set the manually again.
Letting your HP laptop do all the work for you automatically will save you so much time and effort.
All you must do is set your date and time to automatic inside Windows settings and then restart your computer.
How To Change Country And Region On HP Laptop
By changing your country and region, you are telling your HP laptop to set the date and time to the current country you are in automatically.
1. Open Windows settings by Press and hold the Windows key + I to.
2. Select time & language.
3. By your left-hand side, click on the region tab.
4. Change the country and region to the current country you are in.
5. Also change the regional formatting to English (United States).
6. Restart your HP laptop.
Now, if your date and time is still incorrect, go back to the first section to change your date and time to the correct information.
Everything should work fine now since you have already changed your country and region.
How To Change Time Zone On HP Laptop
The time zone is always accompanied with the time itself because every country in the world has a time zone it follows to get the correct information.
If you set a time for the wrong zone, you overall time and date settings will be incorrect because you are working with time zone that is not for your current location.
Here’s how to set time zone on HP laptop:
1. Search for change the time zone on Windows search.
2. Click on the nearest result.
3. Click on the date and time tab by your left-hand side.
4. Toggle on to set the time zone automatically.
5. You can set the time zone manually in the time zone section after you have toggled off set automatic time zone.
How To Change Date On HP Laptop
Normally, after you have successfully changed the time on your HP laptop, your date is supposed to supposed to change along with it.
If you are in a situation where you date didn’t change after you have changed your time, follow the instructions below to learn how you can change your date.
Here’s how to change date on HP laptop:
1. Search for date and time settings in Windows search.
2. Select the region tab by your left-hand side.
3. Click on additional date, time & regional settings by your right-hand side.
4. Click on set the time and date.
5. Now click on change date and time.
6. If you get any sudden prompt, choose yes.
7. Set the date and click on ok to finalise.
8. Restart your HP laptop.
How To Change Screen Lock Time On Hp Laptop
The screen lock time falls into 2 main categories:
- Sleep time.
- Hibernation time.
These categories can be very frustrating when their time is completely off. You can be working on something important on your HP laptop and then the moment you look away for few minutes, you might just realise that your computer has enter sleep or hibernation mode.
You will now have to go through the process of waking up your HP laptop and then signing in to continue from where you stopped.
To avoid going through this stress, you can set your sleeping or hibernation time longer so that your HP laptop screen won’t go off when you are working on it.
Here’s how increase or decrease the lock, sleep, and hibernation time on HP laptop:
1. Search for power and sleep settings from Windows search.
2. Make sure you are on the power and sleep tab.
3. In the screen section, change the duration of how long you want your screen to keep displaying for both on battery power and when charging.
4. In the sleep section, change the duration of how long you want your screen to be awake for both on battery power and when charging.
5. Restart your HP laptop.
How To Change Time From 12 To 24 On HP Laptop
No everyone is comfortable checking the time either in 12 format or the 24 format. It really all depends on how you’ve been used to checking the time.
On your HP laptop, you can easily change the time format to your liking.
Change time from 12 to 24 on HP laptop:
1. Open Windows setting by pressing the Windows logo + I together.
2. Click the time and language.
3. Select the Region tab.
4. Click on change data format.
5. In the short time section, test out the four format options while observing your time to see which you prefer.
Why Can’t I Change The Time On My HP Laptop?
The reason why you are unable to change the time on your HP laptop is because of lack of internet access.
Your computer needs to connect to internet to be able to download the right data for your country or region.
Simply connect your HP laptop to the internet and then try to change your time again.
Why Is My HP Laptop Showing The Wrong Time?
The reason why your HP laptop is showing the wrong time is because you haven’t set the right country and region and your computer doesn’t know which time region to choose for you.
By setting your country and region to your current location, your HP laptop will be able to detect your current location to display the right information.
How Do I Manually Change The Time On My HP Laptop?
To manually change the time on your HP laptop, all you must do is to get to the date and time section inside Windows settings. And once you get there, you need to disable your HP computer from setting the time automatically before you can click on the change button to tweak your time manually.