I am going to show you how to fix your Dell laptop black screen with a few simple methods.
I will make sure this tutorial covers every black screen issue your dell laptop has. The reason I want to cover every black screen issue for a Dell laptop is that Dell Laptop black screen problem is a similar problem everyone has which might not entirely be the same problem.
Here’s a list of similar Dell laptop black screen complaints :
- Dell laptop screen is black
- Dell laptop black screen shows on startup or startup
- Dell laptop screen goes black but your computer is still running
- Dell laptop shows a black screen with cursor
- Dell laptop screen goes black randomly
- Dell laptop displays black screen after login
- Dell laptop shows a black screen on windows 7, 8 & 10
One of these problems is probably why you are here but I want to assure you that the methods I am going to show you today will cover all these problems above.
Before I show you how to fix Dell laptop black screen problem, let me show you why you have that problem
Why You Have A Dell Laptop Black Screen Problem
The main cause of this is a corrupt system file on your operating system. As long as your dell laptop boots up to the point where you have to log in then suddenly display the black screen or blank screen right after you log in, you might have a problem with your operating system.
The corrupt system file on your operating system is preventing your operating system from loading which will lead to a black screen.
Now let’s get right to it
How To Fix Dell Laptop Black Screen
I will share different troubleshooting methods with you today and among these methods, one should work for you.
Here’s a list of the troubleshooting methods to fix your Dell Laptop Black Screen
- Restart your graphics drivers
- Force shut down your laptop
- Boot into Safe Mode
- Check your display brightness
- Update your graphics driver
- Restart your explorer.exe process
- Reset or Update Bios
- Perform hard reset
- Clean reinstall Windows
- Replace your display panel
Restart Your Graphics Drivers
The first thing to consider when your Dell laptop shows a black screen is your dell laptop graphics driver.
What graphics driver is your Dell laptop using?
- NVIDIA GeForce graphics driver
- AMD graphics driver
- Intel graphics driver
These graphics drivers depending on which you are using might encounter a problem that could lead to your dell laptop showing a black screen.
You might be interested in:
- Dell Laptop Won’t Turn On [SOLVED 100%]
- Dell Laptop Keyboard Not Working [100% SOLVED]
- How To Screenshot on Dell Laptop For Any Windows
Here’s how to restart your graphic driver on your dell laptop when you have a black screen error:
Press and hold these key combinations on your keyboard simultaneously
Windows logo key + Ctrl + Shift + Bto restart your dell laptop driver
These combinations will restart your dell laptop drivers and hopefully, your problem will be fixed.
Force Shut Down Your Dell Laptop
Since you are stuck on a black screen, you might be wondering how to shut down your dell laptop. Ther’s only one option you have which is a force shut down.
Here’s how to force shutdown your dell laptop when you are stuck on a black screen
Press and hold your Power Button for 5 to 10 secondsto force shutdown your dell laptop
It doesn’t end there, follow these steps below:
- Disconnect your Power Cord from your dell laptop
- Disconnect or remove your battery
- Press and hold your Power Button for 50 to 60 seconds without your battery or charger connected
- Put back Power Cord and connect your battery to your Dell laptop
- Now turn on your Dell laptop
If this doesn’t solve the black screen error, move on to the next dell troubleshooting method
Boot Into Safe Mode
The idea of booting into safe mode is to let your computer run in a basic state. The advantage of booting in safe mode is that it can help narrow down the source of the black screen error.
Here’s how to boot into safe mode on your computer
- Switch off your Dell laptop
- Press the Power Button to turn your computer back on
- Now click and hold Shift while tapping on the F8 key to show the recovery menu. If you are using windows 7, press F8.
- If you are unable to enter safe mode, then you need to try again. It might take a while.
Once you are in recovery mode, follow these steps:
- Click on advance repair options
- Then click on troubleshoot
- Select advance options
- Click on windows startup settings
- Now restart your laptop
Your laptop should boot to safe mode automatically. If your laptop doesn’t show you a black screen error in safe mode, then it means your black screen issue is triggered by an outdated graphics drive, third party applications or computer virus.
While in safe mode,
- Uninstall the applications you recently installed
- Use your antivirus or windows defender to scan your dell laptop for virus
- Now restart your computer
If you still get the black screen error, move on to the next method
Check Your Display Brightness
Yes, you will be surprised how many people think their laptop shows a black screen when in reality, their display brightness is actually very low
We have to check and diagnose every possible possibility that could cause your Dell laptop to show a black screen.
Now let’s check if your brightness is the cause of the black screen
- Look closely at your display at every angle to see if you can see any sign of your computer displaying anything. If you can see anything or your display is completely dark,
- Then you need to increase the brightness with your keyboard
Try these combinations one by one to see which will work for you
- Click and hold Fn while tapping on F4
- Press F4
- Click on F12
- Press and hold Fn while tapping on F12
If this method doesn’t work, then you should move to the next method
Update Your Graphics Driver
Graphics driver is one of the major causes of black screen error. It is important to always update your drivers if you want your laptop to have a better performance.
You might be interested in:
- Best dell 13-inch Laptops To Buy in 2020
- Top 9 Best Dell Laptops For Business in 2020
- How To Factory Reset Lenovo Laptop For Windows 7, 8 & 10
NVIDIA and AMD are graphics card manufactures and they keep on releasing updates to improve their previous version.
Visit their website to download their latest driver for your dell laptop
If you don’t have any of these graphics cards, then you should download and install intel integrated graphics driver for your own particular laptop.
After downloading your graphics driver, now you want to install it through safe mode. Go back to the safe mode method and install the drivers you just downloaded and restart your laptop.
Restart Your Explorer.exe Process
Restarting your explorer.exe is a simple process and we are going to perform this through the task manager
Follow these steps
- While your laptop is on the black screen, press and hold Ctrl + Shift + Esc simultaneously
- Click on the Details tab (If you are on Windows 7, click on processes tab)
- Select explorer.exe
- Now click on end task
- Then Restart your dell laptop
If your laptop is still showing a black screen error, move to the next method.
Reset or Update Your Bios
Like I mentioned earlier, updating your laptop drivers is very important if you want good system performance.
Bios, if not updated or if corrupt could cause a dell laptop black screen.
Here’s how to reset your bios:
- Turn on your dell laptop by pressing the power button
- Immediately your laptop comes on, click on F2 or F12 continuously on your keyboard till you enter Setup mode
- Click on F9 or Press and Hold Alt + F to load default settings. Sometimes a load default button could be displayed on your screen and you don’t necessarily need to enter key combination.
- Save and exit bios
- Restart your computer
Here’s how to update your bios
- Go to dell official website to download your latest bios driver
- Now install the bios driver through safe mode
Move to the next method if the updating and resetting of bios didn’t work for you.
Perform Hard Reset
Hard reset will solve your problem as long as you can see your windows logo when booting up.
I wrote a simple guide to help you reset your dell laptop when you have issues that are becoming impossible to fix
Clean Reinstall Windows
If you are still struggling to resolve your black screen error, then you should consider reinstalling your windows. Reinstalling your windows will help you refresh your system to a new fresh state.
Here’s how to reinstall your windows
- Create a media recovery to your USB drive
- Plug your USB drive to your dell laptop depending on the format you used to create the recovery media
- Turn your dell laptop off
- Turn it back on
- Tap on F12 continuously when the dell logo appears until you see Preparing one-time boot menu
- While on the menu, go to UEFI Boot
- Select the USB media type
- At the choose an option screen, click on troubleshoot
- Now select the option to recover from a drive.
- Follow the on-screen instructions to complete the reinstallation
Replace Your Display Panel
Replacing your Dell display panel should on be replaced when you are 100% sure your display panel is bad
Here are few tips to help you know if you have a bad display panel
- When you turn on your laptop, the display doesn’t show anything throughout
To also test if your display is working fine when you have a dell laptop black screen, Connect an HDMI cable from your PC to your TV to see if anything will display on the TV
If something does display on your TV screen, it means Your display panel is good, you just have to update your drivers or refresh your computer. I mention these two steps above.
If nothing displays on your TV, then I suggest you seek the help of a professional to help you change your display panel.
You’ve come a long way. By now one of these methods must have worked for you.
Method 8 and 9 is guaranteed to fix your problem as long as your display is working.
Remember to always update your dell laptop drives and also set your windows to automatically update. Updated drives provide better performance and lesser errors.
I hope i have been able to help you with your problem.
Let me know in the comment below
If you still have any trouble
If you have anything you will like to share or ask
If my methods worked for you.
I will reply to your message as soon as i can.
Hi, I’m Solomon. I love computers & the Internet. Certified Computer Engineer with a bachelor’s in Economics. I am a fan of the Internet and I possess a wide range of digital and ICT skills that I freely share through my blog >>Bestsoltips
Bestsoltips main objective is to share and teach you about computer troubleshooting, tips, and solutions